AAHAM Certified Revenue Integrity Professional
The Certified Revenue Integrity Professional (CRIP) exam is intended for anyone in the revenue cycle industry to help ensure that facilities effectively manage their chargemaster, and bill and document appropriately for all services rendered to a patient. This certification requires an in-depth, working knowledge of various revenue cycle areas and proper skill sets needed to increase revenue and reimbursement for facilities. It also ensures that proper charging takes place to maintain compliance with the insurance payer programs.
The CRIP is a four hour online proctored exam that measures basic competencies in healthcare compliance.
CRIP Exam Focus Areas
1. Overall Review of Charge Capture
2. Ancillary Services
3. Surgical Services and Procedures
4. Recurring Outpatients and Clinical Services
The exam is comprised of four (4) sections that contain multiple-choice and true/false questions. Examinees must initially sit for all four (4) sections of the exam. Each section is graded separately, and each of the four (4) sections must be passed with a score of 70% or greater in order to earn the certification designation. If one (1) or two (2) sections are failed, a retake of those sections is permitted. If three (3) or more sections are failed, a retake of the entire exam is required.
AAHAM certification examinations require hands-on working knowledge of patient account management as it relates to national governmental regulations and policies that govern revenue cycle registration, billing and collection procedures. Working experience is not sufficient; candidates will need to enhance and refresh their knowledge through independent and group study programs. Participation in study opportunities provided by your local chapter and/or the national organization is highly recommended.
Study opportunities include:
- A downloadable CRIP study outline included in the CRIP exam fee.
- A comprehensive CRIP Exam Study Manual is available for purchase. The manual is designed to assist you in studying for the CRIP certification as chapters correspond to each section of the exams, with material targeted and geared toward exam questions. It features knowledge checks (practice questions) to help gauge your progress.
- Training and coaching opportunities are offered by local AAHAM chapters. For more information see the link above to locate the contact information for the Chapter Certification Chair in your local area.