AAHAM Certified Compliance Technician
This exam is intended for all revenue cycle staff who must meet employers’ annual compliance training requirements. In today’s healthcare environment, compliance is of the utmost importance. Regardless of what role you have in the revenue cycle, understanding compliance is a necessity.
The compliance exam covers such topics as Fraud and Abuse, the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines, HIPAA, Administrative Sanctions, and RACs. You can use your CCT Certification towards satisfying Centers for Medicare & Medicaid (CMS), The Joint Commission (TJC) and Det Norske Veritas (DNV) Requirements
The CCT is a ninety (90) minute online proctored exam that measures basic competencies in healthcare compliance.
CCT Exam Focus Areas
- The seven elements of a healthcare compliance plan
- Agencies that oversee healthcare compliance
- Knowledge of the Office of Inspector General compliance recommendations
- Non-compliance penalties
Examinees sit the online exam that covers all four (4) focus areas. Grading is immediate upon completion of the exam. All areas of the CCT exam are graded together and the exam must be passed with a score of 70% or greater in order to earn the designation. If the score is less than 70%, a retake of the full exam is required.
Failed exams can be retaken as soon as the next exam cycle but must be retaken within twelve (12) months of the initial exam date.
Exam Refunds and Postponements
CCT applications are non-refundable and non-transferable. There are no postponements allowed.
The CCT exam is available to anyone involved in the management of patient accounts which involve government payers and compliance. AAHAM membership is not required, although it is encouraged, one year of compliance experience is recommended.
The exams are held three times a year; March, July, and November.
AAHAM certification examinations require hands-on working knowledge of patient account management as it relates to national governmental regulations and policies that govern revenue cycle registration, billing and collection procedures. Working experience is not sufficient; candidates will need to enhance and refresh their knowledge through independent and group study programs. Participation in study opportunities provided by your local chapter and/or the national organization is highly recommended.
Study opportunities include:
- A downloadable CCT study outline included in the CCT exam fee.
- A comprehensive CCT Exam Study Manual is available for purchase. The manual is designed to assist you in studying for the CCT certification as chapters correspond to each section of the exams, with material targeted and geared toward exam questions. It features knowledge checks (practice questions) to help gauge your progress.
- Training and coaching opportunities are offered by local AAHAM chapters. For more information see the link above to locate the contact information for the Chapter Certification Chair in your local area.
To retain the CCT certification designation, two (2)options are available:
- Option One – Retake and pass the entire exam every three years.
- Option Two – Join as a national member within the year you become certified and earn continuing education units (CEUs). Members must be in good standing by January 31 of each year and earn and report thirty hours of CEUs within the three calendar years following certification. Fifteen of the CEUs must be obtained from attendance at AAHAM related educational programs. If membership and CEUs are not maintained, the designation will be revoked and can no longer be used.
If you are certified; CCT and CRCE/CRCP/CRCS; The CEUs you submit for those certifications may also be used toward your CCT CEUs.
Click Here to see detailed information on recertification reporting and requirements